Take Action & Lock Up All Social Media Handles – SMM Lecture 2
We will quickly look at “Take Action & Lock Up All Social Media Handles – SMM Lecture 2”.
This is the second lecture on the series of Social Media Marketing. If you have not read the introduction, do so now by clicking here.
When Launching a website or starting a new brand, the first thing to do as a rule of thumb is to lock up the same social media username or handle on all social media networks.
Optimally, try to lock up the domain name as your handle or the very best option is a keyword from your niche. So as an example NIKE. I would love to lock up the handle but it already has been taken. The very next option will be NIKE ATHLETIC SHOES, NIKE SHOES, NIKE APPAREL which are all related keywords to what NIKE in itself stands for.
Therefore the most important thing before launching your brand is to PLAN. You have to find check for the availability of your proposed name or handle on all social media Networks first before setting out to settling for it.
There are two major tools that can help you in this endeavor and they are
How to Use Namecheckr.com
1. Log on to namecheckr.com
2. Input the domain name or the keyword you have proposed to use and a list of all the social media networks will appear and the ones that are taken on all platforms will be shown while the ones available will be displayed usually marked green.
So this is just a nice way to instantly check all the social media networks first before starting to sign up to each one individually.
How to Use Namechk.com
1. As in the first case, you obviously need to login to namechck.com
Namechck.com gives you the available domain names which can easily be seen at the top part of the page. So if you want to lock up some more domains, this site has a great checker for domains and usernames on social media networks. Therefore all you have to do is keep checking usernames, keep checking variations of those usernames and domain names with a keyword in addition and all the variations which we will discuss below until you get one that is available on most of the social media networks.
Therefore, don’t fret if your handle is already taken or locked up on these social media networks. Just try some of these tips
- Think about using the term “official” in front of the initials for your brand name. Likewise, you can put “Real”. As an exam example, you could say “officialflashisaac”, “iceprinceofficial” or “Real Isaac or Realiceprince”.
- If your brand name is taken, an easy way to fix it is just putting NG or US or any location to the name. You can try what Samsung did by making it specific to the region your brand targets especially if its local. e.g “SAMSUNG MOBILE US”. Maybe you can put a state name after it or your country.
- For example, Dust is a suite of digital safety tools for private communication, web search and identity theft protection. It’s basically an app. If for example the owners thought of using cyber dust and they discover that it has already been taken, they can try Cyber DUST APP since it concerns an app as it will help people understand that it’s an application. This will really help with your brand recognition as well.
- If your name is taken, you can also try shortening it. Remember it is much easier for your customers to remeber a shorter username with maybe just one keyword rather than your brand name than it is to remember a long strung out maybe even how to spell brand name.
- Another one is actually adding and spelling your actual domain name. For example o3techydotcom. You could use dotnet, dotorg etc.
Finally, if your brandname and domain name is locked up, try locking up a great keyword. Whatever your main keyword search term is for your product or service, try to lock that up. Another interesting one is to put ASK in front of your brand name. e.g ASK Dr. Ruth. Adding HQ at the end or so meaning Headquarters for companies or other corporations.
If you are still stuck at finding a name , try namemesh.com. This is more targeted towards domain anmes but there are some fun sections that actually combine wordss and will give you some more ideas.
I can’t stress this enough. The shorter it is, the better.
Keep it same across all social networks. It makes it easy to find your brand.
How easy is it to read and say out loud?. Sometimes, people try to be cute and add a number 1 where should have been an L, a 3 where it should have been an E. Things like that can be really confusing to a user looking to find you. Yes it spells out your brand anme in many unique cut ways but for SEO, for readability, for spellability, don’t do these unique little things.
Use Your Business Name (Or Real Name)
If your business Username is John’s Cupcakes, dont use a username like sweet treats. Try to lock up your business name first and like I said, if John’s cupcakes is taken, let try cupcakes alone, let’s try your Special cup cake brand. Let’s add John’s cupcakes LLC, John cupcakes HQ and so on.
Easy to Remember
And finally, how easy is your handle to remeber again. Avoid numbers in your handles as people will forget if it’s numerical or text . As an example if you add a 3 to your brand name, when you call it for people, they might spell out the 3 as THREE and make it difficult to find you. Follow me on Instagram by clicking here.
That’s the much I can go today on “Take Action & Lock Up All Social Media Handles – SMM Lecture 2”.
Thanks For Reading